What kind of coach would I be if I didn’t release a message on goal setting for New Year’s Day? But not only is it perfect timing, goal setting – and reaching your goals – is probably the number one thing I help my coaching clients with. So maybe this message can help you too?
Setting Your New Year’s Resolutions and Reaching Your Business Goals for Objectives
In working with business owners on how to set and achieve the business goals and objectives that will move them toward their financial, time freedom, and lifestyle goals, I have found a couple common pitfalls.
In order to set good goals for your business or your life, I suggest starting with these 4 criteria:
- Your goals should be clear. You need a solid vision of what achieving your goals will look and feel like. The more clearly you can hold this vision in your mind, the easier it will be to determine how to get there and to know when you do!
- Your goals need to be congruent with your core values, desires, strengths, and weaknesses. Above all, they need to be yours, consistent with who you are and where you want to be.
- Your goals need to be noncompeting. It’s easier than you might think to end up in a situation where you’re fighting against yourself. And believe me, it’s not a fight you can win. If you can flesh out your subconscious beliefs and desires and make sure they’re aligned with your business goals and objectives, you’ll be setting yourself up for success.
- Your goals need to make you feel good! Thinking about achieving your goals should energize you, feel your passion, and make you feel empowered. Otherwise you’ll run out of steam long before you get where you’re headed.
I also have a couple suggestions on how to reach your goals.
- Break your goals down into daily habits. If your actions and goals are aligned, success will be the natural outcome of what you do. If you can turn your actions into habits, success will become automatic.
- Take action with the right intent. Take responsibility only for what you can control – yourself! Take action with conviction and clear intent and focus on your goals and objectives and you’ll soon find yourself exactly where you want to be.
- Detach from the results. Building on number 2, you aren’t responsible for the decisions, thoughts, or actions of others, so don’t worry about whether they buy from you, take advantage of your offers, or return your calls. You focus on what you can control, which is persistent and consistent action toward your goals and have faith that the results will follow.
In the video I referenced Brian Tracy’s excellent book on setting and achieving your goals, Goals! If you’re interested in reading (or listening) this this great resource on the topic, please consider using my affiliate link to make the order.
Did this help you? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you commented below and shared on Facebook.
P.S. If you liked my tips you might also get value from my free report, 3 Steps to Increasing the Value of Your Time.